ADVOCACY FOR ORGAN DONATION (AFTER DEATH)
Why India need to donate organs- Vital statistics:
• 2 lacs people require kidneys every year but only 5000 are able to get
• 5000 people require heart every year but only 20 are able to get
• One Person can save the lives of up to 8 individuals by way of organ donation and enhance the lives of over 50 people by way of tissue donation.
Everyday many people/ children die at young age waiting for certain organs, while on the other hand many people die due to accidents/ natural death. Thus hundreds of organs are discarded everyday which otherwise could have saved lives of many people
India, though being the second most populated country with population more than 1.3 billion have only 0.01% population pledge to donate their organs as against 75% population pledging their organs in Europe. A major reason for this is lack of awareness of organ donation and its need coupled with myths around the same.
It is important that a strong campaign be launched all across the country to spread awareness among the people that they are capable to give life to many other people after their death if they pledge their organs during their lifetime and make this wish known to their immediate family members/ friends (as without their consent the donation of tissues/ organs can’t take place).
Objective of the Program:
- To eradicate reasons for shortage of organs so that Lacs of human lives can be saved every year
- To Raise awareness about organ donation in India and burst the misconception that discourages potential donors from making their decision to donate/ pledge
- To Encourage people to sign up for their organ donation and thus make the greatest donation one human being can give to another
Program Leader: Malaika Gupta (email@example.com)